Process & Fees

Step-by-Step for Homeowners

Woman working on a computer while on the phone. she smiles while wearing a gray blazer.

Any construction on your property including remodeling; adding a deck, driveway, or fence; relandscaping; or demolition will require review and may require a permit through Limited Development Review. Exceptions to this review include any interior remodel that doesn’t change the footprint of the structure, alter the ground, or increase impervious surface. Find steps for your process below.

Before you begin any project call the Oregon Utility Notification Center at 811 before you dig.

Unincorporated Areas & Smaller Cities

If your project is in Clean Water Services’ jurisdiction or in a smaller city (Banks, Gaston, Durham, King City, or North Plains) you need to obtain the appropriate permits from CWS before getting permits from your county.

  • Step 1: Submit your Prescreen Form and site plan to start the Environmental Review and Limited Development Review process. Complete any applicable documents related to Easements or Private Stormwater Facilities Agreement.
  • Step 2: Obtain your Service Provider Letter (SPL) and any applicable permits from CWS. If no permits are required, CWS will give you a form indicating permits are not required.
  • Step 3: Submit SPL and permits (or CWS form) to the county issuing building permits.
  • Step 4: Once permits are issued, you can begin construction. Call for inspection.

Larger Cities

If your project is located in Beaverton, Cornelius, Forest Grove, Hillsboro, Sherwood, Tigard, or Tualatin you need to start the Environmental Review with CWS, then continue the process with and obtain permits from your city.

  • Step 1: Submit your Prescreen Form to start the Environmental Review. All projects require you to submit for an Environmental Review before the city will issue permits.
  • Step 2: Submit the Service Provider Letter to your city with your request for city permits.
  • Step 3: Once your city issues any needed permits, construction can begin, and city staff will inspect the project. *

*For projects in the cities of Tualatin and Tigard, Clean Water Services staff will conduct the Erosion Control Inspection. Developing a larger area with multiple buildings, commercial construction, partitions, or sub-divisions? Permit reviews will be necessary. Find tools for the development process.