Waste Prevention & Disposal

Fats, Oils & Grease Program

A pipe is filled with fats, oils, and grease, clogging it beyond use.

FOG – fats, oils, and grease — is a problem for all of us. When FOG goes down the drain it cools and hardens and sticks to the pipes in your home or business and in the public sanitary sewer system. It builds up in pipes, and eventually blocks water from flowing through. When that happens, used water can back up into your home or business or cause a sewer overflow. It’s messy, and it can be expensive, but we can all take steps to prevent FOG.

Food service establishments (FSE)

The best FOG prevention is an effective pretreatment system, which can prevent ongoing issues and save time and money. An effective system is in place when all food and beverage service drains are connected to an appropriately sized grease interceptor, and the system is on an effective maintenance cycle.

FSEs may be required to make changes to their FOG treatment during several scenarios:

  • New construction.
  • Tenants make improvements or remodel.
  • Grease interceptor installed in existing structure.
  • Ownership change.

Need a plumbing permit?

Clean Water Services requests additional information with your plumbing permit application to ensure the plumbing system will keep FOG from being directly discharged to the public sanitary sewer system. Include all information listed below with your permit application:

  • Name of FSE owner and contact information.
  • Detailed plumbing plan of kitchen wastewater lines.
  • Isometric drawing with pipe sizes.
  • Floor plan of the food and beverage service area.
  • Fixture and drain detail that identifies these connected to the grease interceptor.
  • A specification cut sheet for the brand and model of grease interceptor.
  • Tenant improvements: Identify any added, moved, or altered fixtures.
  • Menu and estimated number of meals per day.

Rules and regulations

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I be sure I’m in compliance with the rules?

What are FOG Best Management Practices (BMP)?

What size grease interceptor do I need?

Consult the Oregon Plumbing Specialty Code (OPSC) to find the appropriately sized grease interceptor for your establishment.

How can I find a rendering/pumper company to service my grease interceptor and what should I expect from them?

Visit the Regional Preferred Pumper website

What are the Clean Water Services FOG protection requirements?