As Washington County widens and improves NW Cornell Road between 102nd Avenue and 113th Avenue, Clean Water Services is coordinating construction of a new sanitary sewer. Working in conjunction with the County Roadway Project will reduce costs on the sewer construction, minimize disruption to the community, and prevent future utility conflicts in the area.
Normally the cost of construction for new sanitary sewer is the responsibility of the property owner who the sewer will serve. To recover the portion of the cost, CWS will form a Reimbursement District (PDF) for this project after the Board adopted the Resolution and Order.
Washington County Land Use & Transportation opened bids for the Cornell Road Improvement Project that includes construction of the sanitary sewer, and approved award of the contract to Pacific Excavation, Inc. on January 4, 2022. The amount awarded in the contract for the sewer work is substantially higher than the cost estimate. Most of the additional cost will be absorbed by Clean Water Services, so the Final Reimbursement Charges (FRC) assigned to the owners may increase by up to 10% from the Estimated Reimbursement Charge (ERC).
Early connection (paying the ERC before the FRC is adopted) may provide a cost savings opportunity. When the sewer is available, we will send each property owner in the Reimbursement District an official Notification of Sewer Availability. Eligible property owners can learn about their options and an estimated timeline here.
Please carefully review the information below and contact us if you have follow-up questions or concerns:
- Learn broadly about Reimbursement Districts in this fact sheet (PDF) and about the status of this project in our August 18 Newsletter update (PDF).
- Read more about project drivers and read a summary of the Reimbursement District process specific to the construction of this project in the project overview (PDF).
- Review even more details about Reimbursement Districts in the 23-page text of Ordinance 43 (PDF).
- Explore impacts on the area in this aerial view of the sewer project (PDF), which shows the locations of both Phase 1 and Phase 2, and the affected properties map (PDF), which shows the Reimbursement District boundary and properties that are “specially benefited” by the construction.
- View more in-depth details specific to the NW Cornell Road at 107th Sanitary Sewer RD in the Engineering Report (PDF). This report is based on the Project Cost Estimate (PDF, revised 3/2/2021) and the estimated reimbursement charges by owner. This Cost Breakdown with explanations (PDF) is provided, per property owner request.
- View detailed plans for the sewer for Phase 1 Construction (PDF) and Phase 2 Construction (PDF).
Anticipated Project Schedule
Phase 1 was completed November 2021.
|Summer 2022||Estimated start of Phase 2 (right-of-way sewer) construction|
|Fall 2022||Estimated completion of sewer construction|
|Winter 2022-23||Estimated Public Hearing for final RD charges|
Sign up for our email list to get updates directly to your inbox by emailing “subscribe” to CornellSanitaryRD@cleanwaterservices.org.
Construction Information: Tammie Wilson 503.681.3636
Reimbursement District & Financial Information: Andy Braun 503.681.3615